Job Number: 38928
Group: Cosma International
Division: Formet Industries
Job Type: Permanent/Regular
Location: ST. THOMAS
Cosma provides a comprehensive range of body, chassis and engineering solutions to global customers. Through our robust product engineering, outstanding tooling capabilities and diverse process expertise, we continue to bring lightweight and innovative products to market.
This position is responsible for ensuring Formet and Customer quality requirements are met by providing input in the development of weld processes and resolving welding concerns.
- Post-secondary education – completion of Welding Technologist/Technician Course from a Community or recognized college consisting of two years or more.
- Some experience with manual Gas Metal Arc Welding.
- Practical experience with industrial robots.
- Understands PPAP requirements is an asset.
- Organizational skills.
- Interpersonal skills.
- Communication skills.
- Computer skills.
- Problem solving.
- Business Operating System.
- Quality System.
- Customer Specific Requirements.
- Welding Metallurgy.
- Basic GD&T.
- Fundamental NDE techniques.
- GMAW, Projection and Resistant Welding.
- Basic IATF 16949.
- Measuring equipment (micrometers, calipers, indicators and height gauges).
- Work well in a team environment or individually.
- AIAG Core Tools.
- Problem Reporting System.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform all duties and promote themselves in a manner that reflects Formet Expectations and Formet’s Visions/Values through Magna’s Employee Charter.
- Follow and abide by all government, Legal, Magna and Formet rules and regulations.
- Contribute to continuous improvement and cost reduction activities.
- Support the WEC’s on new and existing programs.
- Troubleshoot Weld Systems and Robotic Equipment to resolve welding related issues.
- Generating and upkeep of welding-related documentation, and audit as required.
- Maintain a sound understanding of customers’ product and engineering specifications.
- Use technical understanding of the welding processes and weld quality standards to ensure that weld quality is being upheld to customer requirements.
- Complete shift report for Team regarding issues encountered on shift for communication and direction for following shifts.
- Provide technical support to Manufacturing Services to help problem solve weld process issues.
- Support program launches in-house and off-site to ensure Formet’s Quality Standards are being met and in order to achieve optimal weld quality.
- Support pre-production buy-offs for welds when required.
- Buy off of the First-Off / Mid-Off processes, and set up verifications to ensure it is being done correctly.
- Initiate and coordinate problem reports and containments.
- Establish, maintain and implement welding parameters to support production and Quality Assurance.
- Conducts weld inspection and analyze weld data, generate reports.
- Be an additional resource for Robotic weld touchups.
- Archiving and supporting Paxit system set up and training.
- Be dedicated to generating Weld PPAP packages when required. Participate as a Team Member with effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Assist in problem investigation and root cause determination.
- Participate in Product, System and Process Audits, including CSRs, as required.
- Audit and approve Special Material Requests and reworked material when required.
- Assist in the training of production personnel in all weld quality requirements when required.
- Attend and / or Champion quality meetings when requested
- Take initiative to follow through on completion of tasks / projects, PCR’s and weld-related GROW ideas.
- Cover for the other Weld Technicians if he/she is absent.
- Demonstrate a sense of urgency to achieve results.
- Perform other duties as designated.
Shift: Rotating every 2 weeks between days, afternoons and nights
- Overtime after 40 hours per week.
- Shift premiums of $0.85/hour (afternoons) and $1.35/hour (nights)
- 2 weeks of paid vacation (3 weeks after 3 years) + 3 Personal Paid Holidays (PPH) + 2 half days.
- Medical and Dental Coverage.
- Plant wide Incentive Program – based on a number of factors, all members of our team receive an Incentive Bonus, if requirements are met.
- Magna Profit Sharing.
- Matched GRRSP.
- Company paid life insurance and AD&D coverage.
- Educational Assistance program.
- Subsidized Cafeteria.
- Work boot, safety glasses and custom molded earplug allowances.
- Weekly pay via direct deposit.
- Company paid uniforms (if you choose to use).
- Barbecues and Children’s Christmas Party.
- Roger’s cell phone plan available to Formet Team Members - $40.00 / month
- Employee discounts (new vehicle, amusement parks etc.)
Accommodations for disabilities in relation to the job selection process are available upon request.
Thank you to all who apply. Only those who are selected to move forward will be contacted.