Apprentice - Electrical - 3rd or 4th Year
Job Number: 40660
Group: Cosma International
Division: Formet Industries
Job Type: Apprentice
Location: ST. THOMAS
Cosma provides a comprehensive range of body, chassis and engineering solutions to global customers. Through our robust product engineering, outstanding tooling capabilities and diverse process expertise, we continue to bring lightweight and innovative products to market.
Under the guidance of a qualified Tradesman, the apprentice is responsible for assisting with and/or carrying out inspections, repairs, maintenance and modifications of machinery, equipment, and facilities. The Apprentice is responsible for adhering to all Ministry of Skills and Development regulations and training requirements as outlined in the signed contract.
- Grade 12 diploma or equivalent
- 3rd or 4th Year Apprentice
- Communication skills (written and oral).
- Organization skills.
- Problem solving skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Perform all duties and promote themselves in a manner that reflects Formet Expectations and Formet’s Visions/Values through Magna’s Employee Charter.
- Follow and abide by all government, Legal, Magna and Formet rules and regulations.
- Contribute to continuous improvement and cost reduction activities.
- The Apprentice works under the close supervision and guidance of a qualified journeyman with all work subject to review.
- Inspect, maintain, repair and modify designated machinery, equipment, process and facilities as assigned. Conduct all activities in a professional manner and positive attitude with emphasis on personal responsibility.
- Evaluate and improve our processes for uptime and repeatability.
- Evaluate downtime situations for root cause and suggest/implement improvements in conjunction with Maintenance Technicians.
- Interact with the team members running the line to look for improvements or ideas to improve your/their job/task and improve line Safety, Quality and Productivity.
- Preventative maintenance on equipment – identify weaknesses in design and implement improvements. Take pride in workmanship.
- Monitor and participate in ensuring all Key Performance Indicators (Safety, Quality and Productivity) are being achieved and if not assist in developing action plans to ensure success.
- Ensure all key information is captured and exchanged at shift change to support the other shifts.
- Co-ordinate activities of helpers and assigned contractors.
- Assist in developing and/or updating preventative maintenance procedures.
- Maintain a clean orderly work area and job site
- Perform other duties as designated
- Office and Manufacturing Environments
- Able to work shift work.
- Able to be flexible in hours of work in order to meet internal/external customer requirements (scheduled and non-scheduled overtime shifts, etc.)
Rate of Pay
Wage Range: $28.43 - $33.27 per hour
Shift Premiums: Afternoons = $0.85 / Hour; Midnights = $1.35 / Hour
- Weekly pay via direct deposit
- Overtime (1.5x) after 40 hours worked
- Vacation entitlement
- 2 weeks of paid vacation (3 weeks after 3 years) + 3 company paid holidays + 2x ½ days = 14 days annually
- Medical and Dental Benefits
- Magna will contribute an amount equal to 3% of regular earnings every week to your retirement savings (MBC program)
- Profit sharing paid in the second quarter of every year (EEPPP Program)
- Matched GRRSP
- Company Paid Life Insurance and Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D)
- Safety Shoe annual allowance, prescription Safety Glasses annual allowance, Custom Molded Earplug allowance
- Company paid uniforms (if you choose to use).
- Company BBQ, Holiday Parties and Company Events
- Corporate Social Responsibility Initiatives
- Annual Employee Opinion Survey
- Magna Service Award Program
- Magna Scholarship Program
- Roger’s and Bell cellphone data plan available – as low as $40/month!
- Subsidized cafeteria
- Educational Assistance Program
- Jump Start Program for personal training - $300 benefit
- Employee Discounts: new vehicles, amusement parks, etc.
- Plant-Wide Continuous Improvement Program: 2021 bonus = $1860
- You get to work with a FANTASTIC Team!
Safety and Housekeeping
- Responsible to adhere to all Health and Safety programs in accordance with the O.H.S.A.
- Follow and ensure the company’s procedures regarding safety rules and regulations are followed throughout the plant.
- Ensure that you work and operate equipment according to Formet’s safety rules and regulations.
- Active role in maintaining excellent housekeeping through leading by example.
- Ensure that your department is clean, tidy, organized and a safe workplace at all times.
- As with Safety, Security is everyone’s responsibility and Formet requires its employees to contribute to this activity by immediately notifying your supervisor when you identify security issues that affect the integrity of our supply chain, in accordance with PIP (Partners in Protection) and C-TPAT (Customs – Trade Partnership Against Terrorism) requirements
Accommodations for disabilities in relation to the job selection process are available upon request.
Thank you to all who apply. Only those who are selected to move forward will be contacted.