Human Resources Generalist
Job Number: 32894
Group: Cosma International
Division: Presstran Industries
Job Type: Permanent/Regular
Location: St. Thomas
Cosma provides a comprehensive range of body, chassis and engineering solutions to global customers. Through our robust product engineering, outstanding tooling capabilities and diverse process expertise, we continue to bring lightweight and innovative products to market.
Reporting to the Human Resources Department Leader or designate, the Human Resources Generalist supports all human resources programs such as compensation and benefits, employee relations, performance management, training and development, and, staffing and recruitment. Responds to employee inquiries regarding human resources policies and procedures. Identifies and/or resolves potential workplace issues. Counsels employees and management on work-related issues.
- Builds effective relationships that allow the Generalist to act as an advisor to the Employees, Department Leaders, Supervisors and Lead hands to ensure the fair and consistent implementation of Company policies and procedures, legislation, the Magna Employees Charter, and “How We Work Together”.
- Understands, interprets, and ensures compliance to Presstran/Magna policies, procedures, programs and legislative requirements in the area of: Employment Standards, Employee Relations, Human Rights, Occupational Health & Safety Act.
- Promotes and facilitates the Open-Door process for employee concerns and questions to be resolved using communication, conflict resolution and negotiation skills. Works to find resolutions to employee concerns.
- Assists the Department Leader(s) in investigations of a serious breech of Company policies/procedures. Reviews investigation documents from the leaders, advises for additional information and/or conducts investigations in partnership with the department leaders as required.
- Assists with the development, interpretation and continual updating of Company policies and procedures.
- Provides support to employees for administrative requests, inquiries, and attends meetings as an impartial mediator with the employee/leader.
- Monitors and prepares progressive discipline.
- Promotes/recommends continuous improvement suggestions including environment, people, processes, and equipment/machinery
- Strategically participates in achieving Presstran and departmental targets and goals.
- Training – For their assigned Departments of responsibility: Works with the HR. Team to anticipate, research, develop, schedule, evaluate, and document training as required to meet all customer/division/corporate/ legislative needs. This may include curriculum development as required. Assists employees in the development of personal education, training objectives and career pathing.
- Monitors and tracks performance appraisal procedures and their completion. Analyses and advises on Employee Performance Improvement Plans. Participates in EPIP meetings.
- Monitors and tracks the attendance program, ensures all required follow up is complete. Attendance reports are completed weekly, results are followed up on in a timely manner.
- Maintains employee personnel files, follows all procedures related to retention of files.
- College diploma/degree in Human Resources is required.
- Certificate of Professional Standing (CHRP) designation is preferred.
- 3 to 5 years Human Resources practical experience (preferably in manufacturing and/or automotive environments).
- Demonstrated verbal, written, listening and organizational skills at an above average level.
- Demonstrated ability to speak/train/facilitate small and large groups of people for training or meetings.
- Ability to work flexible hours in order to meet internal/external customer requirements (scheduled and non-scheduled overtime, shifts, etc.)
- Must be able to support the Open-Door Process.
- Demonstrated ability to implement problem/conflict resolution methods.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Under the general direction of the HR. Department Leader, the Generalist independently works with all levels of staff both inside and outside the division. Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal are required to collect and exchange information or facilitate training sessions. Responsible for the confidentiality of personnel information. The incumbent works in an office environment but is exposed to elements such as noise and temperature during time spent on the plant floor.
ACCESSIBILITY AND ACCOMMODATIONS
Presstran has an accommodation program in place that provides reasonable accommodations for employees with disabilities. If you require a specific accommodation because of a disability or a medical need, please contact Human Resources.
Overtime after 44 hours per week.
Vacation: 2 weeks of paid vacation (3 weeks after 3 years) + 3 Personal Paid Holidays (PPH)
Benefits: Medical and Dental Coverage. Plant wide Incentive Program – based on a number of factors, all members of our team receive an Incentive Bonus, if requirements are met. Magna Profit Sharing. Matched GRRSP. Company paid life insurance and AD&D coverage. Educational Assistance program. Work boot, safety glasses and custom molded earplug allowances.
Weekly pay via direct deposit. Barbecues and Children’s Christmas Party.
Roger’s cell phone plan available to Presstran Team Members, month Employee discounts (new vehicle, amusement parks etc.)
Additional Information Accommodations for disabilities in relation to the job selection process are available upon request.