WeedMD Inc. is the publicly-traded parent company of WeedMD Rx Inc., a federally-licensed producer of cannabis products for both the medical and adult-use markets. The Company owns and operates a 158-acre state-of-the-art greenhouse, outdoor and processing facility located in Strathroy, Ontario. WeedMD also operates CX Industries Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of WeedMD Inc., from the Company’s fully-licensed 26,000 sq. ft. Aylmer, Ontario production facility which specializes in cannabis extraction and processing. With the recent acquisition of Starseed Medicinal Inc., a medical-centric licensed holder with operations in Bowmanville, Ontario, WeedMD has expanded its multi-channeled distribution strategy. Starseed’s industry-first, exclusive partnership with LiUNA, the largest construction union in Canada, along with other employers and union groups complements WeedMD’s direct sales to medical patients. The Company maintains strategic relationships across the seniors’ market and supply agreements with Shoppers Drug Mart as well as six provincial distribution agencies where its adult-use brands Color Cannabis and Saturday are sold.
The General Accountant is responsible for managing WeedMD’s legal entity general ledgers, including Accounts Payable, and maintaining appropriate financial documentation through an organized filing/tracking system. Other responsibilities include producing monthly financial reports, managing and/or preparing accurate monthly remittances; assisting with quarterly review and annual audit working papers, ensuring timely and accurate invoicing and vouchering, updating the internal database and administrative duties related to finance and record keeping. Other duties as assigned, and as necessary.
- Maintaining an organized filing/tracking system for all financial documents
- Produce monthly financial reports
- Ensure accurate processing of monthly remittances
- Prepare journal entries, where necessary
- Prepare the general ledger
- Manage accounts payable
- Manage accounts receivable
- Maintain the General ledger and sub ledgers
- Month End closing process
- Manage and reconcile monthly accruals
- Vendor reconciliation
- Prepare GST/HST remittances, Excise tax working papers
- Assist with audit inquiries
- Maintain fixed assets schedule
- Ensure tracking and reconciliation of Inter-company transactions
- Store, update and retrieve financial data.
- Manage and/or Process claims and vouchers for payment
- Enter invoices, as necessary
- Match invoices with purchase orders
- Verify account codes and signatures for proper assignment of budgetary expenditures
- Act as first line contact with vendors regarding billing problems
- Keep Controller informed of potential accounting and billing problems
- Assistant in monthly comparison to budget/plan
- Serve as a back-up for various accounting and administrative functions
- Perform other duties as assigned
- CPA, CA designation
- (5) years of experience in accounts payable/accounts receivable, and general accounting.
- Strong working knowledge of accounts payable and functions.
- Experience with budget, accounting, and reporting systems.
- Strong working knowledge of IFRS
- Perform mathematical computations accurately and quickly.
- Advanced proficiency with Sage X3 accounting software and spreadsheet programs and
applications an asset.
- Effective attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy.
- High level of integrity, confidentially, and accountability.
- Strong work ethic and positive team attitude.
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills.
- Ability to respond appropriately in pressure situations with a calm and steady demeanor.
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation, conflict resolution, and people
- Excellent teamwork and team building skills.
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Able to build and maintain lasting relationships with other departments, key business partners,
and government agencies.
- Experience creating and managing budgets.
- Strong problem identification and problem resolution skills.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office productivity suite.
- Travel may be required.
- Ability to attend and conduct presentations.
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals.
- Overtime as required.
WeedMD thanks all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected to continue in the recruitment process will be contacted.
Pursuant to the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code, WeedMD will accommodate all applicants with disabilities to the point of undue hardship during the recruitment and hiring process. Accommodation will be provided upon request and in accordance with the principles of dignity, individualization, and inclusion. WeedMD will work cooperatively, and in a spirit of respect, with all partners in the accommodation process.
WeedMD is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, colour, race, citizenship, ethnic origin, place of origin, creed, disability, family status, marital status (including single status), gender identity, gender expression, receipt of public assistance (in housing only), sex (including pregnancy and breastfeeding) or sexual orientation.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Wellness program
- Accounting: 5 years (Preferred)
- CPA, CA Designation (Preferred)