Senior Manager, Distribution
Dessert Holdings (DH) is North America’s Premium Dessert Company, recognized for providing our Retail and Foodservice customers with chef-inspired innovative desserts made with real ingredients and premium quality. Dessert Holdings headquarters is based in St. Paul, Minnesota, and is an umbrella organization of four premium dessert company brands: Steven Charles® is known for culinary innovation with locations in Aurora, CO and Pembroke NC. The Original Cakerie® is a known for its passion and visually stunning creation with locations in Vancouver, BC and London, Ontario Canada. Lawler’s® Desserts is known for its signature high-profile desserts in the foodservice channel based in Humble, TX, and the Atlanta Cheesecake Company is known for its high-quality retail ready portfolio based in Kennesaw, GA. Together, the companies serve over 250 customers in North America. Dessert Holdings is a portfolio company of Bain Capital, a private equity firm that focuses on high growth businesses.
This position is responsible for the physical distribution/logistics for outbound FG and inbound raw materials and packaging at The Original Cakerie (TOC), The candidate will be accountable for the efficient and effective management of third party warehouse operations, outbound delivery to customers across North America and the design and improvement of TOC’s logistics systems and processes. This position will be accountable for the performance of third party warehouse and transportation partners and will ensure compliance to TOC standards for customer service and quality. Fill rate, on-time delivery, cost per case, inventory loss, damage / loss rates will be key measures of success for this position. The Distribution Manager will lead numerous key initiatives targeted at the reduction of distribution costs through vendor selection and rate negotiation, reduced handling, optimal supply network and collaboration with customer supply chain operators. The Distribution Manager will maintain a set of key performance indicators and will commit to continuous improvement as a leadership philosophy. Process improvement and fostering of a continuous improvement culture are requirements for this position. Participation / leadership of logistics systems development is required as well as ability to engage in direct customer interaction to optimize overall physical supply chains.
- Management of all outbound storage and distribution activities via a network of third party operators.
- Management of all outbound delivery services via third party partners and common carriers.
- Cost management to achieve budgets, targeted cost improvements and productivity initiatives.
- Vendor selection, certification and performance management of carriers and 3rd Pty warehouses.
- Responsible for delivering outstanding customer service to our customers.
- Responsible for managing inventory and controlling operating costs such as warehousing and customer delivery costs.
- Inventory levels / aging at each warehouse location will be monitored, reported and managed to minimize obsolescence.
- This position will also include leveraging supply chain modeling and decision support to optimize supply chain design, resulting in the highest possible service levels with the lowest possible cost.
- Day to day responsibility and manages strategic relationships with 3rd Pty business partners and customer supply chains.
- Generates, optimizes and develops innovative, cost effective systems and processes that enable growth and supply chain efficiency.
- Measures and tracks performance through the use of scorecards and KPI’s for both cost, quality and service.
- Collaborates with vendors and external service providers to identify and evaluate opportunities for supply chain efficiency.
- Influences and develops cross functional team members – setting goals for key initiatives acting as both leader and team member.
- Freight audit and cost tracking. Monthly reporting for Dessert Holdings.
- Manage Pallet rental programs for Dessert Holdings.
- Tender freight and support Customer Service for expedited delivery / issue resolution.
- Occasional travel to customer/supplier locations
This position has broad distribution operating responsibility and responsibility for KPI tracking and analytics. It is anticipated that the candidate will bring both formalized education and progressive experience to this position. The Distribution Manager role requires a post-secondary education at the University or College level. Ideally, the candidate will have a degree in one of the following disciplines – Operations Management, Supply Chain, Engineering, General Business. Consideration will be given to candidates from other disciplines that have taken continuing education, certifications such as APICS, PMO, Plog., as well as relevant work experience.
- Distribution and logistics leader with progressive operating and strategic experience - 7+ years.
- Direct responsibility for outbound customer delivery systems including LTL, FTL, 3pl and common carrier
- Direct responsibility for management of multi-site 3PL warehouse operations in North America
- Experience in logistics planning, network design and go to market planning via customer networks
- Experience with frozen networks. Fast paced food / consumer products
- Working knowledge of supply chain best in class practices and an established vendor network
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Superior analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal and cross functional collaboration with ability to influence others.
- Strong negotiation skills and direct experience with leading RFP, Network analysis, vendor selection
- Knowledge and familiarity with ERP systems - WMS, TMS and advanced planning tools and systems
- Familiarity with replenishment to US and Canadian Retail, Food Service and Distributors
Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of ERP system concepts specifically transportation and warehouse modules
- Experience using ERP systems including WMS, TMS,
- Experience issuing and analyzing RFP/RFQs
- Speed dial relationships with Temperature Controller transportation and warehouse vendors in NA
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office tools
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical skills and ability to analyze data to identify opportunities and trends
- Strategic orientation to problem solving.
- Works well under pressure
- Team player and competitive
- Career oriented and results oriented