Maintenance Technician - Automation
Becoming a Team Member at Formet means joining a company offering competitive wages and benefits, employee recognition programs, as well as industry training, internal transfer and promotion opportunities. Team Members take pride producing high-quality automotive parts that help our customers make safe, efficient vehicles.
Formet is one of the largest manufacturing employers in Southwestern Ontario producing body and chassis components for assembly plants across North America. Our 1.1 million square foot facility features industry-leading hydroforming, roll-forming, hot-stamping, robotic assembly and post-assembly coating processes. At Formet, we take care of each other and live by the motto “One Team. One Formet.”
The Technician is responsible for a variety of tasks which ensure the efficiency and reliability of all Company tooling or production equipment and processes.
- Perform all duties and promote themselves in a manner that reflects Formet Expectations, Formet’s Visions/Values through Magna’s Employee Charter.
- PLC, robot and HMI programming, implementation and troubleshooting.
- Preventative maintenance of production and support equipment.
- Repair of equipment.
- Design, verification and maintenance of electrical schematics.
- Assist in setting up, maintaining programming, electrical components and schematic standards.
- Assist in proper maintenance of all programming software and application files and programming hardware.
- Completion of all required work orders and associated paperwork.
- Responsible to improve equipment reliability and uptime.
- Implementation of Continuous Improvement Ideas.
- Monitors quality of welds and performs touch-ups as required.
- Recommend necessary adjustments to parts and machinery to ensure proper production run.
- Troubleshooting on robots and weld controls.
- Operate lifting devices (overhead bridge cranes, fork/combi-lifts, and man-lifts such as scissor lifts and genie-booms) as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Education
- Grade 12 diploma or equivalent.
- Must possess a Technologist diploma (Mechanical, Electrical, Robotics and Automation or Mechatronics).
- Strong knowledge of PLCs (Allen Bradley, Siemens)
- Strong knowledge of robotics (Fanuc)
- Strong knowledge of HMI programming (Ignition, RSView)
- Strong knowledge of various networks (Ethernet IP, DH+, RIO, DeviceNet, ControlNet, RS232)
- Ability to interpret electrical, hydraulic and pneumatic schematics
- Excellent problem solving, judgement and decision-making skills
- Strong awareness of safety and proven safety record
- Demonstrated knowledge of English, both oral and written
- Demonstrated knowledge of Mathematics
- Demonstrated attention to detail, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Project)
- Working knowledge of safety standards of equipment
- Ability to work rotating and/or continental shifts
- Ability to work independently, without supervision
- Ability to work to deadlines and support multiple demands
- Ability to uphold confidentiality
- Ability to work in locations inside and outside of the Formet facility
Skills and Competencies
- Problem Solving
- Technical Expertise
- Strong mechanical inclination
- Communication skills (written and oral)
- Mathematical skills
- Organizational skills
- Multi-tasking skills
- Able to work in a team environment
- Office and Manufacturing Environments
- Able to work shift work.
- Able to be flexible in hours of work in order to meet internal/external customer requirements (scheduled and non-scheduled overtime shifts, etc.)
- Overtime after 40 hours per week.
- Shift premiums of $0.75/hr (afternoons) and $1.25/hr (nights)
- 2 weeks of paid vacation (3 weeks after 3 years) + 3 Personal Paid Holidays (PPH) + 2 half days.
- Medical and Dental Coverage.
- Plant wide Incentive Program – based on a number of factors, all members of our team receive an Incentive Bonus, if requirements are met.
- Subsidized Cafeteria.
- Work boot, safety glasses and custom molded earplug allowances.
- Weekly pay via direct deposit.
- Company paid uniforms (if you choose to use).
- Company paid life insurance and AD&D coverage.
- Magna Profit Sharing.
- Matched GRRSP.
- Educational Assistance program.
- Barbecues and Children’s Christmas Party.
- Roger’s cell phone plan available to Formet Team Members - $40.00 / month
- Employee discounts (new vehicle, amusement parks etc.)
Accommodations for disabilities in relation to the job selection process are available upon request.