Assistant Department Leader - Engineering - Program Management
Job Number: 31670
Group: Cosma International
Division: Formet Industries
Job Type: Permanent/Regular
Location: St. Thomas
Cosma provides a comprehensive range of body, chassis and engineering solutions to global customers. Through our robust product engineering, outstanding tooling capabilities and diverse process expertise, we continue to bring lightweight and innovative products to market.
This position oversees and directs the operation of the Program Management team within the Engineering department by supervising staff, planning, organizing, and facilitating the CPMP process with the Program Management team. The Leader must combine their technical, human and conceptual skills to plan, control and lead the Program Management Team toward meeting divisional objectives.
• Engineering/Business Degree or equivalent combination of education and work related experience.
• 5 years related work experience in an automotive manufacturing environment specific to Program Management and managing Program Managers
Duties and Responsibilities
• Perform all duties and promote themselves in a manner that reflects Formet Expectations and Formet’s Visions/Values through Magna’s Employee Charter.
• Follow and abide by all government, Legal, Magna and Formet rules and regulations.
• Contribute to continuous improvement and cost reduction activities.
• Responsible for all aspects on the Customer’s program.
• Implement and enforce Formet Engineering standards.
• Ensure Engineering compliance in regard to ISO14001 and ISO/TS16949.
• Cosma Program Management Process (CPMP) facilitation, training and execution within the facility and support of the program management utilizing CPMP
• Prepare and monitor departmental staffing, budgeting and planning.
• Plant support in productivity and systems improvements.
• Establishes and follows-up full program implementation and red flag process
• Prepares reports, charts and other documentation required for engineering records and projects.
• Prepare and report on Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) regarding program launch deliverables and milestones
• Prepares drawings, material specifications to requisitions as required by customers, vendors or other departments.
• Deals with customer and vendors.
• Develops process drawings and design concepts.
• Feasibility studies, piece price and tool quotes. Cost justification and capital budgets.
• Follow up new tooling programs to contain cost, timing and quality requirements from prototype phases and die construction through tool prove out, buy-off and program launch.
• Work with customers, vendors and other departments to implement engineering changes, quality improvements, continuous productivity improvements, cost reduction programs, and to establish new methods or procedures.
• Oversee current Production / Stamping and New Program Champions on a day-to-day basis.
• Give direction to direct and indirect reports as required.
• Supply performance reviews in an orderly and timely manner.
• Back-up all Area Leaders in their absence.
• Develop programmes for record retention, preventative maintenance, build standards and job training.
• Participate in short term planning.
• Requisition, authorize or seek approval for new equipment and/or systems as required.
• Oversee build, installation and start up to ensure efficiency.
• Participate in recruiting of department personnel by conducting interviews as required.
• Ensure that workplace inspections are conducted and unsafe conditions or acts are addressed.
• Ensure that all Accidents/Incident Investigations are completed and corrective actions are implemented.
• Ensure that corrective measures including discipline where necessary are taken for unsafe conditions or acts.
• Perform other duties as designated.
- 2 weeks of paid vacation (3 weeks after 3 years) + 3 Personal Paid Holidays (PPH) + 2 half days.
- Medical and Dental Coverage.
- Plant wide Incentive Program – based on a number of factors, all members of our team receive an Incentive Bonus, if requirements are met.
- Magna Profit Sharing.
- Matched GRRSP.
- Company paid life insurance and AD&D coverage.
- Educational Assistance program.
- Subsidized Cafeteria.
- Work boot, safety glasses and custom molded earplug allowances.
- Weekly pay via direct deposit.
- Company paid uniforms (if you choose to use).
- Barbecues and Children’s Christmas Party.
- Roger’s cell phone plan available to Formet Team Members - $40.00 / month
- Employee discounts (new vehicle, amusement parks etc.)
Equipment and/or Product
- Standard Office Equipment.
- Departmental Equipment.
- Office and Manufacturing Environments
- Able to be flexible in hours of work in order to meet internal/external customer requirements (scheduled and non-scheduled overtime shifts, etc.)
Safety and Housekeeping
• Responsible to adhere to all Health and Safety programs in accordance with the O.H.S.A.
• Follow and ensure the company’s procedures regarding safety rules and regulations are followed throughout the plant.
• Ensure that you work and operate equipment according to Formet’s safety rules and regulations.
• Active role in maintaining excellent housekeeping through leading by example.
• Ensure that your department is clean, tidy, organized and a safe workplace at all times.
• As with Safety, Security is everyone’s responsibility and Formet requires its employees to contribute to this activity by immediately notifying your supervisor when you identify security issues that affect the integrity of our supply chain, in accordance with PIP (Partners in Protection) and C-TPAT (Customs – Trade Partnership Against Terrorism) requirements.
Follow environmental protocol as prescribed by the Environmental Management System (EMS).
Accommodations for disabilities in relation to the job selection process are available upon request.