Assistant Department Leader - Quality Assurance
Job Number: 15093
Group: Cosma International
Division: Formet Industries
Job Type: Permanent/Regular
Location: St. Thomas
Cosma provides a comprehensive range of body, chassis and engineering solutions to global customers. Through our robust product engineering, outstanding tooling capabilities and diverse process expertise, we continue to bring lightweight and innovative products to market.
This position oversees and directs the operation of the department by supervising staff, planning, organizing, and implementing quality systems. The Leader must combine their technical, human and conceptual skills to plan, control and lead the Quality Team toward meeting divisional objectives.
• Completion of Quality Assurance, Weld Technology or Engineering Certificate, or Certificate of Qualification in a Formet recognized trade.
• Minimum 5 years of related leadership experience in an automated automotive manufacturing environment.
• CQE or CQM an asset.
• IATF Lead auditor an asset
Duties and Responsibilities
• Perform all duties and promote themselves in a manner that reflects Formet Expectations and Formet’s Visions/Values through Magna’s Employee Charter.
• Follow and abide by all government, Legal, Magna and Formet rules and regulations.
• Contribute to continuous improvement and cost reduction activities.
• Ensure compliance in regards to ISO 9001, IATF 16949 and MAFACT
• Departmental staffing, budgeting and planning
• Plant support in business operating and quality systems improvements.
• Prepares reports, charts and other documentation required for Quality records and projects.
• Deals with customer and vendors.
• Travel to customer/supplier on any shift to support and assess concerns.
• Participate in the investigation and resolution of all customer and supplier concerns.
• Support the initiating, tracking, and the communication of supplier / customer issues.
• Support the training of production personnel in all quality requirements.
• Follow up new programs to contain cost, timing and quality requirements from prototype phases and die construction through tool prove out, buy-off and program launch.
• Thorough and effective use of CPMP.
• Work with customers, vendors and other departments to implement quality improvements.
• Give direction to QA team as required.
• Supply performance reviews in an orderly and timely manner.
• Back-up all Area Leader in their absence.
• Prepare and monitor annual department operating and capital budgets.
• Participate in short term planning.
• Requisition, authorize or seek approval for new equipment and/or systems as required.
• Participate in recruiting of department personnel by conducting interviews as required.
• Ensure that workplace inspections are conducted and unsafe conditions or acts are addressed.
• Ensure that all Accidents/Incident Investigations are completed and corrective actions are implemented.
• Ensure that corrective measures including discipline where necessary are taken for unsafe conditions or acts.
• Responsible for adhering to all applicable regulations and legislation as pertaining to operating and safety functions.
• Perform other duties as designated.
Equipment and/or Product
Standard office equipment.
• Office and Manufacturing Environments.
• Able to work shift work.
• Able to be flexible in hours of work in order to meet internal/external customer requirements (scheduled and non-scheduled overtime shifts, etc.)
Safety and Housekeeping
• Responsible to adhere to all Health and Safety programs in accordance with the O.H.S.A.
• Follow and ensure the company’s procedures regarding safety rules and regulations are followed throughout the plant.
• Ensure that you work and operate equipment according to Formet’s safety rules and regulations.
• Active role in maintaining excellent housekeeping through leading by example.
• Ensure that your department is clean, tidy, organized and a safe workplace at all times.
• As with Safety, Security is everyone’s responsibility and Formet requires its employees to contribute to this activity by immediately notifying your supervisor when you identify security issues that affect the integrity of our supply chain, in accordance with PIP (Partners in Protection) and C-TPAT (Customs – Trade Partnership Against Terrorism) requirements.
Follow environmental protocol as prescribed by the Environmental Management System (EMS).
Accommodations for disabilities in relation to the job selection process are available upon request.