Job Number: 15637
Group: Cosma International
Division: Formet Industries
Job Type: Permanent/Regular
Location: St. Thomas
Cosma provides a comprehensive range of body, chassis and engineering solutions to global customers. Through our robust product engineering, outstanding tooling capabilities and diverse process expertise, we continue to bring lightweight and innovative products to market.
The Systems Engineer’s role is to ensure the stability, integrity, and efficient operation of the in-house information systems that support Formet’s business functions. This is achieved by monitoring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing all networked software and associated operating systems. The individual will apply proven communication, analytical and problem solving skills to help identify, communicate and resolve systems issues in order to maximize and continually improve Formet’s Information Systems.
- University Degree/College Diploma in a related computer science program and 4 years of recent experience in a similar position OR;
- Minimum of 6 years recent extensive hands-on experience in a similar position.
- Experience working in an automotive manufacturing environment is desired.
- Strong technical background, with an emphasis on the administration of servers and networks.
- Experience working with SAP R/3, including a solid understanding of hardware and software installation, configuring and tuning would be an asset.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform all duties and promote themselves in a manner that reflects Formet Expectations and Formet’s Visions/Values through Magna’s Employee Charter.
- Follow and abide by all government, Legal, Magna and Formet rules and regulations.
- Contribute to continuous improvement and cost reduction activities.
- Maintain extremely high ethical standards regarding all sensitive data that you may be exposed to.
- Continuously challenge past practices by actively exploring and implementing new solutions and methodologies to improve the quality and time to market of our product and services to the company.
- Produce a top quality product on time and ensure that it meets or exceeds our customer’s needs.
- Help train and support users on new applications, changes, upgrades and/or recommend external training resources and co-ordinate effective training schedules.
- Both participate in and facilitate departmental cross training on a day-to-day basis to provide the best possible support and protection of Formet’s operations by fostering a learning environment of sharing project, business, and technical knowledge with all other team members.
- Fully utilize the departmental Helpdesk application by diligently adhering to project due dates.
- Fully understand both your own role/responsibilities and the same for all others in the department.
- Analyze, evaluate, co-ordinate, implement, manage and support the day-to-day maintenance of all IT hardware and systems as directed by your Area Leader and Senior Staff in accordance with departmental standards.
- Support the Systems Analysts in the implementation and management of various hardware and software.
- Handle the administration/setup of network accounts following departmental procedures and security protocol
- Ensure system reliability through redundancy, backups, security, anti-virus, firewall, etc.
- Responsible for documenting procedures, problems and their resolutions
- Responsible for secondary support of the IT Helpdesk extension 3111 during working hours. After hours, calls will be handled by the rotating on-call pager.
- Install and utilize network and server monitoring software across varying technologies.
- Troubleshoot and resolve complex server interactions.
- Communicate effectively with non-technical staff and with members of interdisciplinary teams.
- Flex and adapt in regard to learning and understanding new technologies.
- Conduct research into systems related issues and products.
- Prioritize and execute tasks in a high pressure environment.
- Implementing fault-tolerant networks, system fault monitoring, traffic analysis and network security.
- Perform other duties as designated.
- Office and Manufacturing Environments.
- Able to lift computer drives, monitors, and other peripherals.
- Carry a company supplied “rotating” on-call pager to provide 7x24 1st level support that could require either remote connectivity or returning to the plant.
- Carry a company supplied cellphone/ smart phone at all times to provide 7x24 2nd level support in case of a work related emergency that could require either remote connectivity or returning to the plant.
- Some travel may be required.
- Able to work shift work.
- Able to be flexible in hours of work in order to meet internal/external customer requirements (scheduled and non-scheduled overtime shifts, etc.)
Safety and Housekeeping
- Responsible to adhere to all Health and Safety programs in accordance with the O.H.S.A.
- Follow and ensure the company’s procedures regarding safety rules and regulations are followed throughout the plant.
- Ensure that you work and operate equipment according to Formet’s safety rules and regulations.
- Active role in maintaining excellent housekeeping through leading by example.
- Ensure that your department is clean, tidy, organized and a safe workplace at all times.
- As with Safety, Security is everyone’s responsibility and Formet requires its employees to contribute to this activity by immediately notifying your supervisor when you identify security issues that affect the integrity of our supply chain, in accordance with PIP (Partners in Protection) and C-TPAT (Customs – Trade Partnership Against Terrorism) requirements.
Accommodations for disabilities in relation to the job selection process are available upon request.