2021 Summer Associate (Intern)
I. Project Background & Overview
UV advanced oxidation (also known as AOP) is an established technology for the remediation of contaminants in groundwater and surface water. Trojan AOP growth since 2018 has been High Double Digits, but the outlook for the segment appears unclear as the funnel of new AOP opportunities suggests deceleration going forward. The purpose of this project will be to work with sales, marketing and product planning to expand the AOP funnel through new opportunity identification (including new geographies) and prioritization.
The specific objective for the project will be to develop a commercial strategy (segmentation, growth, customer purchase drivers, etc.) for expanding the AOP segment for UV water treatment to drive long-term double-digit growth through 2024 through:
- Segmentation of potential customers including sizing and funding sources
- VOC research to unearth key customer purchase drivers
- Persona development to drive commercial activities
- Regional prioritization (effort / impact matrix)
- Implementation planning including org/process/training changes required to support AOP and its sizing/process
This project will be focused on expanding the focus for UV water treatment in AOP beyond near term funnel realization. Presently, AOP opportunities are treated entrepreneurially with limited process muscle (cultivate indefinitely until they become reality). This project will develop standard work for AOP opportunity development along with segmentation prioritization in order to create a tangible path to unlock the growth potential in the near term for Trojan.
The project will be contained within the boundaries of market work (TG0) and will not delve into areas of current product evaluation.
The resources for this project will include the VP of Global Sales and Marketing for Trojan Technologies, who will provide guidance and coaching on the frameworks (VOC, segmentation, channel management) needed to complete the project. In addition, the commercial leadership of our AOP segment (Sales, CAG, Product Planning, Marketing) will provide insights and access to subject matter experts on AOP UV water treatment.
The work products from the effort will include:
- Conducting VOC and Gemba visits to understand implicit needs and purchase drivers for AOP
- Developing a needs-based, customer segmentation of the UV water treatment opportunity in AOP
- Validating the growth potential of AOP for UV water treatment by customer persona
- Charting a customer engagement strategy for AOP, including an approach to funding sources, legislatures and treatment plant operators
- Constructing a phase gate process for AOP opportunities to better identify near term vs. long term opportunities with the intent to decrease the aperture of timing
Danaher Corporation and all Danaher Companies are equal opportunity employers that evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other characteristics protected by law. The “EEO is the Law” poster is available here.