R&D Senior Food Scientist - 12 month contract
Dessert Holdings® is North America's premium dessert company, recognized for providing our retail and foodservice customers with chef-inspired innovative desserts made with real ingredients. Based in St. Paul, Minnesota, Dessert Holdings is an umbrella organization of three premium dessert companies and brands: The Original Cakerie, Lawler's Desserts, and Atlanta Cheesecake Company.
This position will be located at The Original Cakerie in London, ON. In this role you are a measurement based, results and detailed oriented R+D leader that will provide leadership for implementation and execution of both new and existing projects. From chef designed concepts to plant floor commercialization, you will be responsible for delivering products on time that meet taste and functionality, quality and cost expectations. You will work with others to identify and specify the manufacturing processes for new or improved products and lead the on floor work involved to validate. These products will be developed and defined by physical culinary attributes and product specifications. This role will be hands on developing, leading and managing product development projects from idea to launch and will require strong commercialization experience.
Key Technical Responsibilities and Contributions
- Coordinate and schedule timely bench to on-floor tests, trials, first production runs by providing supporting documentation/instructions, develop project plan, identify, and organize project team, coordinate resources, identify objectives/goals, implement plan, monitor progress, coordinate sensory evaluation, collect results, create reports, and lead project communications and results.
- Coordinate receiving and shipping of samples
- Evaluation raw materials/finished products
- Manage ingredient performance in formulation within processing parameters
- Equipment, ingredient, sensory and product testing knowledge
- Strong baking / technical / food science background
- Resourceful with strong time management skills and attention to detail
- Self directed with the ability to work independently or in a team
- Design and execute experiments, analyze, and interpret data to make sound technical recommendations
- Knowledge of analytic methods and control techniques for ingredient, raw material, and finished goods
- Ensure Kosher and BRC standard requirements are met
- Travel up to 15 - 30% of the time.
- Can be long days based on project timelines. When supporting the on-floor work during shift hours, hours must be flexible
Education - Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Food Science / Food Engineering / Food Nutrition or related Science (e.g. Food Chemistry, Microbiology, etc.)
- Minimum 4 years experience in bakery/product development/food manufacturing experience in a related role such as Product Developer, Research and Development or Food Scientist
- Experience with leading new bakery products through testing, trialing and commercialization within an automated high speed bakery environment (frozen bakery experience preferred but not essential).
- Formulation and raw material knowledge / experience.
- Excellent written/oral communication, time management skills
- Working knowledge of MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel), Sharepoint, ERP systems, NAV, Genesis
- Working knowledge of Canadian and US food standards and regulations.
- Strong bench work skills with the ability to execute solutions rapidly (DOE).
- Experience working in a manufacturing facility or industrial bakery an asset