Tool and Die Apprentice (internal)
(1 position available)
Under the direction of the Maintenance Supervisor (or delegate Team Leaders), the tool and die apprentice will be responsible for diagnosing production related problems, undertaking tool modifications and repairs as necessary, ensuring that all preventative maintenance procedures established for the equipment utilized in the work are maintained on an on-going basis. This position is on a three-shift rotation as defined by the production shift schedule.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
With the guidance of a journeyman:
- Manufactures, modifies, or repairs tools with a variety of materials. Uses sketches, blueprints and models to plan for fabrication of consumables in hydroforming dies and CNC bender tooling.
- Diagnose production related problems with tooling and liaises with the engineering staff to identify possible problems with tooling design and function.
- Undertakes tool modifications within the department’s capability following consultations with engineering staff as necessary.
- Complete PM or Work Orders via the EAM computer software system.
- Perform other routine maintenance work on machinery.
- Actively participates in the development and achievement of team quality goals and objectives, continuous improvement ideas and projects, and environmental objectives and targets.
- Support launches and production demands as deemed necessary with overtime.
- Comply with company policies and procedures supporting the quality management system, environmental management system, and health and safety.
Educational Requirements and Skills:
- Working towards their Tool and Die Designation.
- Attend trade school as outlined by the Ministry of Training when approved by Vari-Form. A training plan will be developed and compliance within the program must be met.
- One to two years’ experience in an automotive environment.
- Ability to work with a variety of tool room equipment such as milling machine, lathe, drill press, surface grinder, hand tools and layout equipment.
- Strong mathematical skills
- Knowledge in basic computer skills
- Strong safety and quality awareness
- Demonstrated interpersonal, communication, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
The above us not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties, responsibilities, and requirements of the job described. Rather, they are intended to describe the general nature of the job. Accommodations for disabilities in relation to the job selection process are available upon request.