Tooling Engineering Specialist
As a member of the Science and Technology team, you will contribute to the development and production of innovative medical devices by providing support to the design, development, and manufacture of plastic components and tooling. You will apply knowledge and experience in injection molding, tooling and plastic component design to optimize cost, quality, and time to market. You will also provide technical support to manufacturing to ensure timely and effective resolution of production issues.
Design and Development
- Provide technical support and expertise to internal cross functional product development teams and our suppliers to ensure tooling design requirements and project deliverables are met
- Participate in device and tooling design reviews to ensure design and project risks are mitigated at an early stage in development
- Challenge suppliers on all aspects of tooling design and development to ensure TMI achieves highly competitive cost, quality, and time to market of our tools and components.
- Complete mold flow simulations to predict as early as possible issues with tooling design, part design, and/or material selection
- Stay abreast of new plastics technology innovations and propose for implementation where appropriate including tooling, polymers, and molding
- Transfer knowhow to New Product Development staff and other internal stakeholders so that we consistently develop and manufacture innovative, high quality, and low cost plastic medical devices
- Mentor New Product Development Engineers to ensure innovative and high-quality plastic part design is achieved
- Provide technical leadership, guidance, and expertise to internal production support teams and our suppliers to ensure tooling and plastic component related manufacturing issues are resolved quickly and effectively
- Working with production support teams and our suppliers, proactively seek to capture and apply learnings from root cause analysis that can prevent similar issues in the future
- Capture and transfer tacit knowledge from manufacturing to New Product Development to continually ensure our designs are optimized for manufacturing
- Learn and apply the latest continuous improvement tools and techniques to find ways to reduce the cost of our plastic components, tooling and devices
- Fulfill the role of project leader for plastic part and tooling cost reduction projects from concept phase to formal change project initiation
- Facilitate effective transfer of all approved cost reduction projects to formal change control and New Product Development process
- Contribute to cost reduction concept development projects and ensure agreed upon deliverables are achieved.
- Contribute to a pipeline of innovative plastics or tooling related cost reduction ideas and progress them towards selection for development
Health and Safety
- Ensure compliance with relevant health and safety legislation, including the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, the Occupational Health and Safety Act, etc.
- Diploma in Tool Design, Mechanical Technician, or Mechanical Engineering Technician or a related field of study
- 5-10 years of experience in design and development of injection molding tools, molding, and plastic part designed for high volume manufacture
Specialized Skill or Knowledge
- Knowledge of plastics and the design of high volume injection molded tooling, components and devices
- Ability to design high volume injection molding tooling
- Ability to perform mold simulation modelling, e.g. Autodesk Moldflow
- Ability to root cause and resolve manufacturing issues with injection molding tooling and processes
- Knowledge of lean Six Sigma approaches, e.g. DMAIC
- Ability to design plastics parts and tooling components using 3D CAD (e.g. Solidworks)
- Ability to complete cost modelling of plastic parts and tooling
- Project planning skills and knowledge of project management approaches
At an applicant’s request, TMI will make accommodation to its recruitment process to meet the needs of applicants with disabilities.