QA Sensory Technician
McCormick Canada continues its long track record of growth and is a respected leader in the spice, seasoning, flavouring and specialty food industry. Our consumer products division serves retail grocery customers and emerging channels with Club House, Billy Bee and McCormick products, while our Custom Flavour Solutions division serves food service distributors and other respected food manufacturers across Canada. McCormick Canada is part of the world leader in spice and seasonings, McCormick & Company Inc.
The Power of People is one of our five pillars. It has been the foundation for McCormick's success for decades. There is something inspiring about working at McCormick. We have created an unusually dedicated workforce by fostering a culture of respect, recognition, inclusion and collaboration based on the highest ethical values. Without our employees, our success is not possible. Our commitment to our customers, our consumers and our employees is unsurpassed.
The Sensory Technician prioritizes, plans, prepares, administers sensory tests and reports sensory data used to release production materials. The Lab Technician maintains the sanitation and organization of lab which includes managing lab supplies, product storage, cleaning, maintaining Gold Standards, managing lab supplies. The Sensory Technician is responsible for training and monitoring panelists. They provide coaching, learning opportunities, and feedback to panelists to ensure accuracy of sensory results
DESCRIPTION OF POSITION:
- Maintain the sensory program by planning, prepping and executing sensory panels. This may include attribute identification and creation of ballots.
- Work with team to ensure panels are scheduled and supplies are readily available as needed. This includes tracking and purchasing supplies as needed.
- Assist with management of McCormick Quality Assurance sensory program by scheduling, setting up and participating in formal panels, as well as ensuring all critical ingredients are captured in the program.
- Conduct sensory training, leading to overall enhancement of knowledge on first pass sensory quality.
- Ability to manage sensory panels, monitor trained panelists performance by conducting calibration and manipulating panels.
- Manages the Gold Standard program for raw materials and finished seasonings ensuring all standards are up to date
- Support the plant – issue quality notifications for sensory issues as required.
- Retrieve samples from warehouse as required.
- General housekeeping of sensory area.
- Act as a liaison for QA sensory and internal stakeholders.
- Follow all safety procedures and guidelines.
- Performs daily line audits as required.
- Participates in JTE as required.
Education: Degree in Biology or a related field.
- Proficient computer skills, Microsoft Office and SAP.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to handle heavy workloads with minimal supervision.
- Possess a solid understanding of different sensory methods (descriptive, discrimination and affective), and statistical techniques.
• 2 to 5 years in food industry; experience running a sensory lab is an asset.